FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
All members of Parvati.org, including Parvati herself, are volunteers with a wide range of backgrounds and a common understanding:
- The current exploitation of the ocean harms us all and is non-sustainable
- Fossil fuel exploration in any seabed, especially the Arctic’s, is intrinsically unsafe
- The Arctic Ocean is particularly vulnerable to climate change
- At the same time, its ecosystem is essential for keeping climate change in check
- A healthy planet is the only bottom line that counts
- As such, the way forward is clear, and urgent
Why the Arctic Ocean?
- The Arctic Ocean is a vulnerable ecosystem suffering from the damaging effects of the world’s use of fossil fuels.
- The melting ice exposes rich natural resources that have become of interest to international corporations for exploitation. Yet the delicate ecosystem cannot sustain such activity.
- Studies show that Arctic oil is “unburnable” under any scenario that limits global warming to 2º C. 2º C warming is already a dangerous and unpredictable scenario.
- Polar ice plays a critical role in protecting against climate change. Ice reflects the heat of the sun back away from the planet; open water absorbs it and accelerates the rate of global warming.
- By stopping exploitation traffic, MAPS protects the polar ice caps.
- MAPS protects our oceans and ocean life, which are essential for the future of humanity.
- MAPS is a global commitment to sustainable energies and our cessation of the use of fossil fuels, by saying “no” to the unburnable oil resources in the Arctic.
- Nowhere else on Earth boldly strikes at so many key and pivotal climate crisis issues with one single, no cost, immediately realizable solution as does MAPS.
Why did a not-for-profit create an international treaty?
- It needed to be done. MAPS is non-negotiable for a healthy planet.
- The Treaty is made pursuant to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.
- MAPS brings world leaders together in agreement that the needs of the collective are equal to the needs of the individual, no longer putting short term gain ahead of the total consequence.
- The climate crisis is urgent.
Do you have any political affiliation?
Parvati.org takes no political stance. The planet must be a healthy and safe home to all living creatures equally.
Does your organization have financial interest in MAPS in any way?
- Zero. The members of this not-for-profit are all volunteers. Trained as Climate Reality Leaders by former US Vice President Al Gore, they have funded all Parvati.org work to date out of pocket and have no financial interest in the realization of MAPS. It is a selfless offering to address the global climate crisis we face at this time, of which we are all a part.
- To keep the MAPS treaty completely non-commercial, we worked with pro bono translators who were moved by the power and the sincerity of the initiative